Saturday, February 18, 2012

Chicken Lettuce Wraps


My Mom called me the other day and was telling me about a recipe she found on pinterest. I love pinterest. It's a time-sucker and I find myself spending waaaayyyyy too much time there. Anyway, Mom found a chicken lettuce wrap recipe and made it. She raved about so I figured I better check it out. I think I have mentioned before that I try at least 1 new recipe a week sometimes more. I get bored really easy and need lots of variety in my meals. 

I am trying to incorporate 1 meal a week with no meat. That hasn't gone over too well with the husband. He likes his meat. So if he isn't going to be home for dinner, I make something meatless for myself and my son. He isn't picky...at all. And he is all about eating healthy, so he likes the meatless stuff I make. 

My son really liked this recipe. The inspiration for this is a mixture between 2 recipes. I like to mix things up, I rarely follow a recipe exactly. Neither recipe called for mushrooms, but I wanted to bulk it up so I added a cup of diced mushrooms. Yea, I know I was talking about meatless meals but this one has meat. So the husband will eat it.

Chicken Lettuce Wraps 




The Ingredients
Next time I will use butter lettuce instead of iceberg




Brown chicken in 1 tsp olive oil. Remove from pan and add 1 cup onion
and 1 cup diced mushrooms along with 2 cloves minced garlic.



When browned, add the chicken


 Add the sauce (recipe below) and spoon 1/2 cup into each lettuce leaf. My son
added some sriracha sauce, thats a little spicy for me. He said it was delicious!




Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Calories: 202 (per wrap)
  • 1 pound chicken breast cut into cubes ( I used chicken tenders, next time I think I will use boneless skinless thighs. I love those)
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • 1 cup mushrooms, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced  
  • 2 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
  • Iceberg lettuce leaves (or butter lettuce)

Sauce
  • 2 Tbsp soy sauce (use low sodium if possible)
  • 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • shake of red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp agave 

Instructions:

Mix sauce together in small bowl and set aside. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in pan over med high heat. Add chicken, cooking until browned. Remove from pan. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms. Add 1 tsp soy sauce. Stirfry until softened and browned. Add chicken and pour sauce over top. Cook another 2 minutes. Add Hoisin sauce. Spoon 1/2 cup chicken mixture into lettuce leaves. Top with more hoisin if you like or hot sauce.  Serves 4

 




No comments:

Post a Comment