Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Scallop Asparagus Stir-fry

Its been awhile since I posted to my blog. I really need to get in a routine of posting new recipes. I love cooking, I love looking up new recipes and I love eating! That's my biggest problem. Food addiction. I am stress eater and this has been a stressful school year. My goal is to drop 30 pounds. So far I am down 8 pounds, 22 more to go. The last 2 weeks have been a yo-yo of lose a pound gain a pound. So this week I am tracking calories again. I love the fitnesspal app on my phone. So easy to track calories and workouts.

Speaking of workouts, my 2 co-workers and I are trying out Curves. We have done our free week and need to join. I love the workout. We go right after work, done in 30 minutes and go home. I am a lazy work out person. The least amount of time I can spend, the better! This is a great recipe that is low in fat, calories and tastes great! I always make this when asparagus is on sale. Costco had a great deal on a 2 pound bag of asparagus. I think it was around $4 for the bag. This is one of those "throw whatever veggies you have in it" kind of meals. I also had about 15 frozen shrimp leftover in a bag so I threw those in as well.







Clean and chop your asparagus into 1 inch pieces. Dice onion and celery
Slice mushrooms. I didn't have alot of mushrooms left, I usually use about double this amount. 


About 1 pound of scallops. I use the bay scallops but if you want you can use the larger ones,
just cut them in half. I also added shrimp.



Saute the asparagus, onion and celery, then add mushrooms. When those are tender
crisp, remove from pan and saute scallops, shrimp and some garlic.
Add sauce (see below for recipe) and veggies. Cook until thick. Serve over rice. 

If you have slivered almonds, sprinkle those on top, I didn't have any this time but it was
still delicious! Enjoy!





Scallop Asparagus Stir-fry
serves 4
Calories 248 
(includes 1/2 cup rice)


  • 2 cups fresh asparagus trimmed and cut in 1 inch pieces
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 cup onion diced
  • 1 small can water chestnuts
  • 1 pound bay scallops (or large scallops cut in half)
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 3 tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 clove garlic
Combine Chicken broth, soy sauce and cornstarch in small bowl. Set aside. In large skillet, saute asparagus, celery and onion in 1 tbsp olive oil until tender crisp, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and water chestnuts. Stir-fry another 2-3 minutes, remove and set aside.

In same skillet, stir-fry scallops (and shrimp if you want)with garlic for 2-3 minutes until firm and opaque. Add chicken broth mixture. Bring to a boil, cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add vegetables and cook until heated through. Sprinkle 1/4 cup slivered almonds on top, serve over rice.

*Note: Calorie count does not include almonds and includes 1/2 cup white rice. I have made this with broccoli instead of asparagus with delicious results. I have also added shredded carrots and green onions as well. Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment