Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burrito

I rarely cook the same meal twice in a month. If I do then it is an incredible dish. This my friends, is an incredible dish. It is a fantastic low fat meatless option. I am trying to do meatless once a week. This may become the dish we eat once a week. It is THAT good! I got the inspiration for this from Here. I love looking for recipes and then changing them up a bit. Once in a while I will make it exactly but not often.






 Here is the cast of character for this delicious dinner.



Dice the onion, peeled sweet potato/yam and peppers. These are those cute little sweet peppers that you buy in a bag. They are delicious. Next time I will add more. And what IS the difference between a sweet potato and a yam? I think this is a yam but I am not sure. Doesn't matter, its yummy!



Add olive oil and seasonings and dump on foil lined cookie sheet. I like foil lined because it makes for quick
and easy cleanup.


 

Bake in the oven until carmelized.




Wrap in tortilla and fry until golden brown. I didn't oil or spray my pan and the tortilla browned nicely.




I served this with light sour cream, you can use greek yogurt if you like to lighten it up more. I also put a tablespoon of fat free cheddar inside. OH SO GOOD! Enjoy














Ingredients

1 large sweet potato or yam, peeled and diced
1 sweet onion diced
1 cup julienne sliced red peppers (or use the mini sweet peppers)
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
pinch of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil

Mix in bowl and dump on foil lined baking sheet sprayed with a bit of non stick spray. Bake at 375 until browned, about 30 minutes.
Drain and rinse 1 can of black beans. Put 3/4 cup sweet potato mixture and some of the beans on tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese (non fat cheddar is delicious) and chopped cilantro. Fold into burrito. Heat a non stick pan and fry burrito on both sides until nicely browned. Serve with sour cream.



3 comments:

  1. It looks yummy,
    Congrats with the blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright my dear, I will follow your blog as you know how much I enjoy your cooking. Can you post calories/servings? And a yam is sweeter than a sweet potato, how do I know, because I got bored one day and googled it, haha. Love ya and thanks for the recipe. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will start posting calories/servings in my next post. Thanks!

      Delete