Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mongolian Chicken

This is amazingly delicious! My family loves it. This was originally a beef recipe but for a change I make it with chicken as well. It's one of those "clean out the fridge" kind of meals. I always have beef on hand since we get 1/2 a beef every year for Christmas. I usually have chicken breasts on hand as well. Tonight as I was looking through the fridge I found a few mushrooms, a small head of broccoli and some green onions and realized I had all the fixings for this great tasting dinner. I don't usually add mushrooms but since they were reaching the end of their life, I needed to use them or throw them out. Hopefully you will enjoy this as much as my family does.



Here are the ingredients for this yummy dish.






Chop the veggies





Coat the chicken in cornstarch and fry until done. Add the brown sugar mixture.







When sauce thickens, add the vegetables



Serve over rice.








Mongolian Chicken
Calories 283

  • 1 pound chicken breast sliced into thin strips
  • 2 tbsp corn starch
  • ½ cup water
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 minced garlic cloves
  • ½ tsp fresh grated ginger
  • sliced green onions


Combine chicken strips and corn starch in a bowl, toss to coat. Combine water, sugar, and soy sauce in small bowl. Set aside. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger, sauté 1 minute. Add chicken and cook until done. Add brown sugar mixture and cook until sauce thickens, approx 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. At this point, add any vegetables that you want, broccoli, mushrooms, ect..Cook until vegetables are tender crisp. Serve over rice.Top with sliced green onions.

Serving size is 1 cup of chicken/veggies over 1/2 cup rice. Calories listed do not include vegetables.

 For those of you doing Weight Watchers, this recipe is adapted from a WW magazine I picked up awhile ago, before they started doing points plus. The original recipe with beef and 1/2 cup rice was 8 points.

1 comment: